Tuesday, January 9, 2007

"Cuz I'm tired of whys, choking on whys, just need a little because, because..."


Ugh...10 hours until my surgery. I am not a happy camper. I've been awake since about 2 a.m. *last* night - since I can't sleep. I wasn't supposed to be at the hospital until 6:30 a.m., but the hospital called this morning and told me that they had a cancellation and now I have to be there at 5:45 a.m. Good god that's early. I don't want the scars. I don't want to have the 50% chance that it won't even help the constant lump in my throat from acid swelling my esophagus. And, yes, I'm being a big baby and whining. I was hoping that I could do some fun things this week like go out shopping and see a movie, but I was so nauseous and sick this week that I couldn't do anything but lie in bed and wait until the surgery.

When the woman called from my surgeon's office and told me that they were moving my surgery to an earlier time, I tried to be positive and funny.

Me: "Is it ok to have surgery that early - is the surgeon going to drink a lot of coffee?"

Her: "You can't drink coffee! You can't have anything before the surgery after midnight the night before."

Me: "No, I meant the surgeon - I was hoping he would have lots of coffee to make sure he's awake and ready to do my surgery."

My attempt at humor obviously failed; she had absolutely no sense of humor. You would think she could have at least faked a laugh when calling someone about a surgery that person is having the next day. She would have to know that a person would be nervous. I know you're supposed to "distance" yourself, but patients are still people and she could have least faked that she cared. Ugh, again.

On the upside, my brother is being super sweet and took me out to get a flexible acrylic belly ring to put in right when I get home tomorrow - trying to save my piercing so it doesn't close up. I really don't want to go through it again. Besides, if I wear dangly belly rings - it will cover one of the scars :P My brother snuck and bought me a gift card for Subway, so that I could eat Subway while I'm recovering. Sandwiches are the only thing the past few weeks that don't hurt my stomach very much - so I've eaten a million Subway sandwiches. I feel like Jarod without the penis, tons of money, and free Subway for life.

My best friend/roommate has been a trooper too - he totally cleaned my bedroom and my bathrooms and all of my comforters, pillowcases - so at least I have a clean room to come home to.

I can't wear eye make-up - I'm assuming that's b/c they tape your eyelids. You can't wear nailpolish on your fingernails - I looked this up and it helps clue them in if you're not getting enough oxygen. I hated my first ENT (my first tonsillectomy surgery fell through due to the fact that she tried to keep me waiting in pre-op for over 4 hours and then went to lunch) - I painted my fingernails bright blue on purpose just to be a smart ass. Yes, little things give me pleasure (no pun intended...hehe). Hopefully, I can get some sleep and hopefully I wake up tomorrow :P Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment