Wednesday, March 8, 2006

"You should get to know me better...no one's ever what they seem"

Reasons that I can typically talk myself out of the Arkansas chatrooms:

(1) The Discrimation - I've never seen worse than yahoo chatrooms, particularly in Arkansas chatrooms, in the way that the inhabitants make fun of black people, overweight people, or gay people. I live around these people; this scares me. Case in point:

"megaherz85: cus you dont want to end up viewing some ones cam and end up wanting to pull out your eyes from seeing the site of a fat person and i dont want that to happen so ask for pics first i have made the mystake of seeing a woman over the size of 3 hundred pounds and thats a site i wouldnt wish on any one so ask before you view"

I tried to argue w/this person but just let it go after it took him 10 minutes to respond with a one-sentence response, because, as my roommate says - it's like entering into an ass-kicking contest with a one-legged man.

(3) The "Discretion." These are the people that choose "no answer" in their profile as an answer for marital status and go around looking for someone that can be "discrete." This just annoys me; I appreciate directness in this aspect. If you're married and/or have a significant other, just freaking say so and don't try to hide it under pretty words.

(4) The "Booters" - This is something that I just don't get. A game of my computer can kick your computer's ass. People actually spend hours learning how to bump people off of yahoo better and making programs that keep others from doing this to them. This is just nuts. I was bumped one time over and over, because one of these "booters" got mad when I typed something in the main text after his female friend did in response to one of her statements to a gay person about how being gay is disgusting (and proceeding to degrade him in the open chatroom). I've learned that one aspect of booting is just to keep people from making you look stupid when that person types something w/out thinking or attacks a fellow chatter for no reason other than the fact that he sleeps with "Dick" instead of "Jane." (pun maybe intended - hey, I can only resist for so long... Image)

(5) The "Overnighter." These are the people that are coming to stay in Arkansas for only a few days on business, but they think that they are actually going to meet someone in a chatroom to make sure that they can have someone to hook up with naked while they are in town - usually b/c said person is married and this is the easiest way to hide any indiscretions. These people will actually start scouting a chatroom for the state that they are visiting months before the date of his/her trip.

(6) The "chatter of few words." These are the people that message you with "a/s/l" or "have a pic or a cam?" These are just messages that aren't going to get answered. Come on - be charming. If you were at a bar or met someone in public that you wanted to talk to - would you really just go up to that person with such unoriginality? One witty opening to start a conversation is just not too much to ask. When I'm in a bad mood, I try to help people that message others this way and then complain b/c no one will talk to them. I try to let them know that a little charm goes a long way; it probably doesn't help - but you can't say that I don't try to make my contribution to cyber-society Image

(7) The "I can't figure out how to fill out my profile or I didn't proofread my profile before I hit save" chatter. If you message someone with absolutely nothing in your profile, the aforementioned charming opening, as referenced above, becomes even more essential. The messagee at least likes to know one thing about the person messaging him/her before answering the message. It's not that hard to fill out a profile; it only takes a few minutes. I've had people try to add me on 360 w/completely blank profiles or they'll send me a message and have their settings set to not receive messages. Umm....I bet these people sit around and wonder why they never get responses ;) (And, for the love of God, if you're going to fill out a profile - at least try to spell 1/2 of the words right or get the grammar close to correct) Profiles are out there for years - you would think one would want to take some care in choosing the right spellings, etc. I look up spellings of words all the time; it's just how you learn and/or refresh your memory on how to spell a word or to make sure you have the spelling correct in the future. On a side note, if someone spells a bunch of words wrong while chatting w/me, it doesn't really bother me. You just don't have the time to look up spellings while chatting and, frankly, some people just can't spell. Some of the smartest people that I've ever known, like my father, could not spell worth anything.

I have an awful sinus headache - a huge storm is coming - I think I'm calm now...(laugh) I had to get some of that out of my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment